The Starfish Initiative is proud to work with parents and guardians as you help your Scholar reach their full potential and become their educational best. Your active participation in the academic life of your Starfish Scholar is extremely important to the success of the program.
Starfish values parents and makes every effort to keep parents/guardians regularly informed and involved in activities associated with the Starfish Initiative program.
Parents and guardians of Starfish Scholars agree to support the strong academic performance of their students, to participate in Starfish activities, and do all that is necessary for Scholars to successfully complete high school, gain admittance to college, and earn a college degree.
Starfish Initiative parents/guardians are responsible for the following:
- Read the all Starfish Initiative communications to keep updated on program events. Pay special attention to activities planned for your Scholar.
- Stay in regular contact with your Scholar’s Scholar Specialist. Inform him/her of any changes in contact information or family circumstances.
- Communicate with your student’s mentor regularly. Parents/guardians work together with the mentor for the Scholar’s benefit. Regular communication also helps to avoid scheduling conflicts.
- Plan with your student to ensure that family responsibilities do not conflict with school and Starfish activities.
- Make sure that your Scholar attends all scheduled Starfish Initiative activities.
- Ensure that your Scholar attends school daily and on time.
- Attend report card conferences at your Scholar’s high school.
- Attend individual conferences with your Scholar, Starfish Initiative staff, and/or mentor as needed. These appointments will be scheduled at mutually convenient times.